What are the benefits?
Each year, the Fund could generate up to $450,000 to support environmental conservation initiatives. Moreover, the ability to also generate funds from sources outside the community is significant. For example, over the next five years, over $2 million could be generated for protecting our water, air and natural places in our communities. It is anticipated that the funds will support both acquisition and stewardship type projects.
Some of the goals of a fund may be to:
- Protect our water resources – watersheds, lakes, streams, and wetlands
- Conserve and restore important habitats for fish and wildlife
- Build on the network of natural places for people to enjoy
- Help landowners care for nature on their properties
- Protect ecosystems and their services important to the economy and communities
- Encourage volunteer nature conservation and education activities